Today, washi tapes are an international phenomenon and lend themselves to wildly creative uses. They have multiple benefits: they come in all possible colours and patterns, they are durable and easily removable, they leave no sticky residue (at least the high-quality ones), and their utility comes in handy in both every-day situations and on special occasions. Washi tapes awaken our inner child and invite us to keep things creative, unique and beautifully coloured. Whether you are drawn to them because you are planning a new DIY project or simply because you love exquisite stationery, washi tapes will undoubtedly add a personal touch to your space and possessions. While new forms of experimentation with washi tapes keep emerging daily, we have prepared the most current guide for you, featuring 12 diverse and sometimes unexpected applications of this trendy Japanese staple:
1. Colour CodingYou can use washi tape to colour code file folders or personal notes in a bullet journal, moving boxes or flash cards. You can also colour code activities in your planner, which is a great way to aid memory and help structure your day or week.
2. Cover Up MistakesAlthough some swatches are semi-transparent, using stylish masking tape can be a quick fix for ink errors, holes and other involuntary mistakes.
3. Use Directly in ArtWhether painting has been your thing-on-the-side hobby ever since you can remember or you are just passionate about adult colouring books, adding washi tape directly into your art can be extremely satisfying! You can layer different types of washi tapes and you can also play with the texture. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials to draw inspiration from.
4. Emulate Art DecoWe have an amazing variety of metallic washi tapes in our REMINDART collection. This is simply a dream-come-true for DIY aficianados who would previously have to resort to more complicated gold and metal leafing techniques to recreate the shiny geometric patterns characteristic of the aesthetic. Whether you want to decorate a cupboard or create an accent wall, our exquisite shiny REMINDART tapes will carry over the magic of Art Deco!
5. Party & Celebration KitFrom decorating handmade cards and gift wrapping to creating flags for cupcakes and sandwiches, bunting, tassels and garlands (simply by folding over a cord and snipping the ends), the uses in parties and special occasions are endless!
6. Decorate Furniture and SpacesRanging from small-scale interior design projects to large-scale full make-overs, the uses of washi tape in interior and exterior re-decoration are only a matter of willingness! Bring the 'kawai' pop of colour to tables, ceiling fans, window blinds, fridges and ovens and other home appliances, serving trays and cups and various kitchen utensils, vases and planters and pots, doors and stairs, phone cases and keyboards and electronics, light switches and wall clocks, closet hangers and mirrors, bikes and other vehicles...
7. Imitate a WallpaperIt could be an accent wall in your bedroom or the entire office space. As long as you create repeated and perfectly spaced shapes and patterns over a single-colour wallspace, your washi tape canvas will give the appearance of a wallpaper!
8. LabelingYou can write over most washi tapes and you can use measured stripes to label spices and jars, electronics cables and folder tabs, among many others.
9. On HumansWe have spotted washi tape being used for nail art (mani and pedi), but it is also very widely used to freshen up hair accessories and jewellery!
10. Prettify Stationery & TrinketsAdd some pizzazz to your work desk by wrapping your old pencils and pencil cup in rose gold washi tape. You can create gold and metallic paperclip flags to use as tiny chic bookmarks for reading, you can decorate your binder clips and create a whole new look for your coffee coaster. If you keep books and magazines on a shelf, you can do some soothing and enjoyable bookbinding with washi tapes. You can even create entire binder cover designs. Also, you can transform any trinket you keep on your desk, in your handbag or in your pocket - anything from candy wrappers to keys and even your favourite chopsticks you bring in your lunch box!
11. OrganiseWe have a great variety of high-quality metallic foil stickers, which are great for marking deadlines and activities in your calendar. However, to step up your game in terms of colours and patterns, we recommend adding a washi tape swatch or two to your organising tools mix!
12. Maps & CityscapesYou can create an entire mural for your living room or a geometric cityscape as a headboard alternative in your bedroom. Anything from multi-shaped photo frames to Brooklyn Bridge linear art - your imagination and skills are the limit!
Using washi tapes can be a straightforward form of art therapy, but it is also very useful in time and activity management and optimising the design of objects and spaces. Our unique REMINDART collection awaits you here!